Thursday, June 12, 2008

My Own Scam Baiting

I'm not trying to be anything like the guys over at scambaiters.com, those guys are the best. However, I couldn't resist going after this one:

I was on craigslist looking at apartments when I came across a listing in Brooklyn for a one bedroom for 900. I couldn't resist such a fantastic deal especially one so close to an N train. Of course I should have used my better judgment, but I just had to try so I sent the usual query email. This is what I got back.

Re: Apartment

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 2:14 PM
From:
"anna2jenkins@aol.com"

To:
thelastslacker@yahoo.com

Hello,
Thank you for your interest. I have available the apartment located at 8235 4th Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11209, with 1 bedroom, 1 living room and 1 bathroom.I want to rent the apartment at this price because I moved with my job in United Kingdom, London. I can rent you the apt for max. 2 years because I have a contract here for this period. The rent for 1 month is $900 including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking, air conditioning, fireplace, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator). You can move in the apt in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I'm the only person who have the keys but I hope that we will find a compromise.Thank you for your interest and wait news from you.

So now the scam is officially on

Poor grammar, an out of town landlord, and fireplace aside, the big tip off came when she mentioned a parking space. You could spend a thousand dollars building your own parking space and someone else would already be parked there.

Here is my reply:

Re: Apartment
Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:08 AM
From:
"Dave"

To:
anna2jenkins@aol.com
I am very interested in seeing the apartment before I make a commitment. Do you have anyone near here that you could send the keys to? Or possible send me some more photos? I am very interested especially in the parking space as I have a very large car that needs parking.

Thank you

I'm really fascinated by the parking

If anyone has any ideas as to what I can do with this scammer please let me know. I'm sure they'll ask for a key deposit or possibly make me sign a lease unseen (or just ask for the deposit) so I may ask them to send me some forms that I'll need notarized for a small fee drawn on their bank. I'll be thinking up something while I wait for a reply.

In the meantime I'll keep you posted.
Shark Foundation: Help the sharks to survive
Greenpeace